If you are studying in the development sector and have a passion for making a change, then you will no doubt want your work experience to have an impact.
Our parent company, Development Works Changemakers (DWC), has an incredible opportunity for international graduates of calibre in the research and evaluation field to do their internship with us in Cape Town.
If you have a passion for both travel and making a difference, then a research and evaluation internship in Cape Town is the perfect opportunity. We are looking for someone to join our team of evaluators in an environment that is both supportive and enriching.
Research and Evaluation Internship Requirements
For many university courses, an internship is required to complete your degree. An ideal candidate for the DWC internship will align with the following requirements:
- An undergraduate degree and sound knowledge of social science research methodology
- Desire to pursue a career in the field of research or monitoring and evaluation, with the emphasis on evaluation
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills
- Strong analytical skills, both in qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Excellent English writing and communication skills
- Willingness to undertake a variety of tasks. These tasks include fieldwork logistics, fieldwork, instrument design/tool development, workshop and client engagement, data analysis and report writing
- Committed to working in a fast-paced consultancy environment, producing high-quality work, contributing to the team goals and values of diligence, working with purpose, excellence, diligence and integrity
In exchange for this committed time, we will provide you with:
- An opportunity to conduct your research for your academic programme; and
- Assistance with your research focus, methodology and design based on a local South African context.
- We will help you problem solve your approach, locating relevant local contextual programmes enabling you to focus your research top and interview/be assigned to/research and local partners and stakeholders to inform your research objectives.
- We will assist with a local ethics submission if required. Please note there is an additional cost should you require an ethical approval for your research study.
- You will receive a customised and personal reference on the conclusion of your internship, as well as our Director and CEO’s availability to serve as references in the future.
Intern in Cape Town
This opportunity is based at our offices in Woodstock, Cape Town. It will suit an international graduate wishing to intern for a minimum of 12 weeks, preferably longer. Ideally, candidates spend 4-6 months with our organisation.
This internship is a unique opportunity to conduct your academic research in Cape Town whilst also building your profile as a researcher and evaluator. In addition, we will help you hone your research skills contributing to your resume. In addition, we will expose you to a variety of intricate and high-level evaluation studies for a range of our clients. These include international funding agencies, reputable global nonprofits, social enterprises and government agencies.
We will also connect you to our local partner nonprofits and social enterprises working in the development sector in South Africa. This is done to ensure your internship is fulfilling, rigorous and value-based.
We would love to hear from you. To apply please click here.
Finally, please note that there is a fee attached to this opportunity of $1,595. This fee is payable in full before you arrive in Cape Town.
Only a select few candidates are considered for this unique opportunity given the high demand. We, therefore, work on a first-come-first-served basis. Interested applicants will be required to undergo an interview with our Director of Research & Evaluation and will be required to provide samples of their work and academic results to ensure suitability.